Oxygen Staff Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The key to success

I didn’t just wake up one morning, have an epiphany and decide, “Today is the day I’m going to start getting fit,” and voila! New body! You’ll read more about my lifelong struggle with weight in the upcoming issue of Fat Loss, but let’s just say, I’ve had more failed attempts at getting fit over the years than I care to admit.

I’d make a pact with myself that I’d start my diet and fitness program on Monday, and this time, I was going to stick to it. But stress or laziness or my love of pizza would win the battle every time, and, let’s face it – I never put up that much of a fight. Sound familiar?

So, what made this attempt the one that stuck? Well, the Oxygen lifestyle and the support I received here at work were certainly key factors. But, I’m going to let you all in on a big secret to my fat loss. Ready? Here it is: Don’t go it alone. Find a friend with similar health and fitness goals and team up. Work together, motivate each other and have fun doing it.

When I recruited one of my best friends to support each other in reaching our fitness goals, everything started getting easier, and more fun! I started looking forward to our weekly emails where we’d swap recipes, training tips and celebrate our successes.

So if you’re struggling with motivation or accountability, it may be time to call for reinforcements. Reach out to a friend that you can count on that has expressed interest in getting healthy. At the end of each day or week, touch base with each other on how you’re doing. It will be the best gift you could give each other this holiday, and a great way to start the new year.

Let me know how it goes! How does your get-fit buddy keep you motivated and how do you celebrate your fitness gains?

2 comments:

  1. Ok so I am hoping this new Fat Loss issue will get me motivated again a few years ago I was 220 lbs (5'9) and unhappy I changed my job and started to work out and eat better and the weight came off I got down to 160! Now I moved in with my boyfriend earlier this year and gained 10 lbs! :( so i need to get back on track thank you for motivating me to do so keep up with the blog it's great can't wait to read your story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nina! And congrats on your weight loss success!

    Try not to stress too much about the 10 pounds. It's probably largely due to the change in your routine and lifestyle now that you live with your boyfriend. Once you get refocused on your goals, I just know you'll get back on track - and maybe even recruit your man while you're at it.

    And if a little extra motivation is what you're looking for, the new Fat Loss issue is packed with it. Let us know what you think!

    I'm so touched that my story has motivated you. Keep believing in yourself and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete