Oxygen Staff Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

No turning back now

Well, I did it! I just registered for a 5K charity charity run in April! And to really challenge myself, I plan to finish in under 35 minutes. To you avid runners, a 5K in half an hour might seem like a warm up, but to a person who used to fake an injury in high school to get out of running in gym class, this is is a challenge of mammoth proportions.

A few weeks ago I posted a blog in which I set a goal to learn to love and run it. It has been my experience during my year-long transformation, that having an event or deadline to work towards is the best way to stay accountable to your goals. For me, my photo shoot for Fat Loss gave me that extra push everyday in the gym or made it easy to say no to bacon at breakfast. What's more, by starting small, like training for a 5K instead of a half marathon, I have the confidence in what's possible on my side, rather than the fear of failure holding me back.

Whatever your goals are for this year, plan something today that will help you stick to them. Register for a fun run or marathon, sign up for a fitness test, book a beach vacation, or set up your own photo shoot. Get creative. Pull a pair of jeans from your skinner days from the back of your closet and say "in three months, I'll be wearing these." No matter what your finish line looks like -- whether it's posing in a bikini or zipping up your old size fours -- it will feel like a celebration of your hard work and success when you triumphantly cross it.

The 5K is in 67 days, so I better get training. In the meantime, I'd love to know: What events are you training for and how is your progress going?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's awesome, Kirstyn! I've only ever walked a 5K . . . and with my mom and sister by my side, there was a lot of chatter, so it wasn't exactly the speediest gait.

    Good luck during your training!! :)

    ReplyDelete