Oxygen Staff Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What's shakin?

Avocado!

Pressed for time this a.m., I was forced to skip my usual slow-cooked, stick-to-my-ribs, steel-cut oatmeal and settle for something quick and convenient. So, I popped some regular rolled oats with a bit of cinnamon in the microwave and started working on a breakfast shake: protein powder, a handful of fruit, a splash of milk...

I'd covered almost all of my bases for a complete meal but something was still missing. Something rich and hearty to satisfy both my taste buds and my appetite, and keep cravings at bay between meals.

And then I spotted it, the missing ingredient, ripening on my counter top: Avocado!

One of nature's most perfect foods, avocados are jam-packed with fiber, vitamins K, C and B, and heart-healthy fats. I sliced off a quarter of it and added it to the mix. Blend. Sip. Delicious! It provided just the right amount of creaminess, giving my liquid breakfast a milkshake-like quality.

And as for the fullness factor, I didn't hear a peep from my stomach until three hours later when it rumbled for a snack. That means I wasn't mindlessly snacking away at my desk or making poor choices at the vending machine. So, next time you're having a chaotic morning, don't even think for a second about skipping breakfast. In five minutes, you can have a complete and delicious meal that will help fuel your work day and your workouts!

Try adding avocado to your next shake and let me know what you think. And feel free to share your own creations! What are some of your favorite shake combos?

5 comments:

  1. Great tip! Never thought to do this but now I will. What do you think about adding Tang to protein shakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it! As for using Tang in shakes, I'm not a nutritionist but I'm very anti-refined sugar. I'd also be worried about the unnatural, artificial colors and flavors. If you're craving citrus, why not throw in some slices of real orange and grapefruit? Why use the fake stuff when you can have the real thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be intimidated by avocados - it wasn't a fruit that I grew up eating - but now I thoroughly enjoy them on everything, especially salads and veggie burgers. However, I'm curious if you have a tip or two on how to choose a good one; I tend to forget about them in my fruit basket and usually find them days later, looking a bit like an overgrown raisin. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love avocados in my smoothies. Here's a tip... Since you're only using a quarter of it, freeze the rest! You can pop it into your next smoothie directly from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,

    If you're not going to use the avocado right away, buy them when they're still hard and let them ripen on your counter until you're ready to dig into it. If you do plan on eating it that day or the next, give it a gentle squeeze in the grocery store. If it has a little give, it's perfect. If it feels really soft, it's past its prime. Good luck!



    Elle,

    Great tip! I didn't know they could be frozen but I'm going to try it for sure. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete