Oxygen Staff Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

For the love of spinning

I used to think that indoor cycling classes were strictly for masochists – why would I ever voluntarily subject myself to an hour in a sweaty, dark room with a near-stranger barking orders at me from atopa stationary bike? But after trying some classes a couple of years ago, I am eating my words. Now I show up at least 30 minutes prior to class to claim my favorite bike – and to make sure that I get a coveted spot with the most popular instructors! (Yup, I’m a huge geek.)

I recently sat down for a chat with one of my favorite instructors, Jennifer King, at Goodlife’s Club One in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Our conversation took place prior to her 6 am Tour de France 2009 class, during which she takes us spinners on a condensed version of the race's stages. Here’s what I learned.

Spinning isn’t just for the advanced. Scared to try a cycling class like I was? Don’t be. Jennifer says that every class is modifiable to the individual exerciser. “You are really in control of your own destiny when you cycle in a group class, and it really helps to have people pushing you to go faster, harder,” she explained. Between the speed of your legs and the amount of resistance you turn up on your bike, you can customize your own ride. If you aren’t feeling up to that huge hill during your class, says Jennifer, you certainly don’t need to crank up your gear (ie. the dial that controls your resistance).

Get settled before you start. Jennifer recommends that those new to spinning show up to the class about 10 to 15 minutes early to chat with the instructor. “They can help you set up the bike so it feels right when you are spinning as well as what are some of the hand positions are,” she says. That means that you can enjoy your ride without having to worry about a learning curve.

Gear up. If you find you like spinning, there are two accessories that you might want to look into purchasing: a heart rate monitor to track how hard you are working, and a pair of cycling shoes. These shoes have clips that allow you to lock yourself onto your bike, which Jennifer says will “help you focus on the target muscles” instead of trying to catch your footing. A pair in the $120 to $160 range is a good investment as they will last a long time, especially if you only use them indoors. (Outdoor cyclists also use this type of footwear.)

Calories count. Okay, okay, we get it –when people exercise, they want to know exactly what their efforts are going to produce; with spinning most people are curious as to what their calorie burn will be. While it will vary from person to person and class to class – if you aren’t giving it your all, don’t expect the highest burn possible – Jennifer has found that she burns anywhere from 600 to 1000 calories in a 50- to 60-minute class. “That’s a huge range, and the higher end would be if you are doing a lot of intervals,” she notes, adding that “intervals are big-time calorie burners.”

Left: Jennifer King gears up for another spin class. (Get it? "Gears up?" No? Anyone?)

Right: Me at the gym with a ridiculously tall mannequin at 5:45 in the morning. We are both very happy to be there. (Picture taken by Nick. Thanks again!)

2 comments:

  1. I am a newbie to spin within the past month and absolutley love it! I never realized that I don't push myself that hard when I do cardio on my own! I was always scared to try a class until my coworker finally talked me into trying it with her- now I hope I'll never quit (I also go early to get a good bike/angle to see the instructor)! I just got a heart rate monitor so I'm excited to see what that does for me! I loved this post- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather! Glad you are giving spinning a shot! Here's something else you might be interested in: I asked Jennifer why spin classes are completed in the dark (or in a dimly lit room), and she explained that it helps the instructor and participants visualize what is happening on the "road" in front of them. Because spinning started out as a way for outdoor cyclists to train during the off-season or in inclement weather, the dimming of the lights helps the cyclists to focus all their mental attention on what their body is doing and how they would apply this training to an outdoor session. Cool, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete