Oxygen Staff Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

On the road again!

This week marks the beginning of one of the most well-known events in the fitness world: the Arnold Sports Festival, held in Columbus, Ohio. I'm as excited as a 12-year-old at a Justin Bieber concert to be tagging along with the Oxygen team and working the booth with my fabulous coworkers and some of our models. If you plan on attending, drop by to say "hi!"

There is one thing that has been on my mind, though. As much as I love traveling, adapting my normal workouts to fit within our erratic on-the-road schedule is a near-impossible task. In the past, I would try to pencil in workouts ahead of my travel date, but I've found that is a futile endeavour - all in all, more mental trouble than it's worth.

As I embark on this adventure, I have decided to be a bit more lax with my routine and go with the proverbial flow. Maybe I'll hit up a nearby gym once or twice over the course of the festival, go for a quick morning run, or perhaps throw a couple of resistance bands into my bag so I can squeeze in a few curls in a pinch. No stress - I'll do what I can and get back to my regular routine when I return after the weekend.

If you have any ideas about fitting in exercise during travel, speak up! I'd love to hear your get-moving tips!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rach! Hope you had fun at the Arnold. Did you see the Oak in person?

    Looks like I'm a little late commenting on this post, but in general, when traveling, I try give myself a break too. First of all, I find when you're touring a new city, you end up doing a LOT of walking, so I factor that in my calorie burn for the day.

    Second, if the hotel has a gym or a pool, I take full advantage, even if it's just a 15 minute run with sprints and 10 hard laps, at least you know you did something and it totally revs your energy for the day.

    I'm embarking on my own adventure in a month and one thing I plan to do is find a yoga studio. I think it would be a great way to explore a par t of my destination while relieving the stress to the body that can come with flying and foreign fares. It will also feel so satisfying to stretch out my body after a cramped flight. I look at it as a way to get some exercise without the frustration that can come with trying to hit my regular workouts.

    ReplyDelete