Oxygen Staff Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Arnold pics and cardio kicks

My time at the helm of Oxygen's staff blog is coming to a close, and honestly, it's been amazing fun sharing my thoughts, gripes and fitness plans with you. I hope that my stories were less "babbling," more "thought-provoking," but truth be told I'd even settle for "an okay way to waste five minutes." Kasia, our lovely health editor, is taking the reigns of this blog for the next four weeks. As always, don't be afraid to pipe in with your thoughts via the comments section!

Before I leave, there's two things that I want to share with you.

1) I only touched briefly on cardio training (care of my spinning post), but I have to admit that I am a cardio junkie - and if you add in some hardcore intervals, I'm in fitness-nerd heaven. Here's a sample of the routine I generally follow when I hit the treadmill, elliptical or StepMill. If I feel as though I could go longer during the harder intervals, I do - as with all exercise, it's best to listen to your body's cues as opposed to what your preplanned routine dictates. One last thing: If you are on the treadmill, don't keep your incline at 0; an incline of 1 or 2 will better mimic outdoor running conditions.

My 30-minute cardio fix

Minutes 0-3: Warmup
Minutes 3-5: Light jog (or an easy gait if you are on the elliptical or StepMill)
Minutes 5-8: Increase speed by one level each minute until you are sprinting during minute 8
Minutes 8-12: Decrease speed by one level each minute until you come back to your light jog.
Minutes 12-19: Repeat minutes 5 through 12.
Minuters 19-27: Repeat minutes 5 through 12, but add another minute to your fastest interval at minute 22 (so you are sprinting for two minutes; if you need to, sprint for 30 seconds, then jog for 30 seconds, then repeat for your second minute)
Minutes 27 to 28: Light jog
Minutes 28-30: Cool-down walk; follow with a stretch

2) Here's some of my favorite pics from the 2011 Arnold. It was an honest-to-goodness blast and an event every fitness buff must experience! Thanks again to everyone who stopped by the booth to say hi to the Oxygen team!

(Top left) Models Natalia Muntean and Melissa Pittman demonstrate how to do the Bulgarian split squat on our stage.
(Top right) Stacy Jarvis, Oxygen's art director, and photographer Jason Breeze take a moment to pose for the camera.


(Top) Erin Smith, Stacy Kennedy, Wendy Morley and Diane Hart (in case you can't tell by their name tags) brought big smiles to the booth each and every day.
(Bottom) Mags, mags, everywhere!

(Top left) From left to right: Lindsay Messina, Rachel Crocker (that's me!), Amanda Adams and Stacy Jarvis representing short women everywhere.
(Top right) I look super pale next to the always radiant Lori Harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment