Oxygen Staff Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Energy makeover

“How’s your energy these days?”

It’s a question that my family doctor asks me during every check-up.

Like many women, I used to have low blood iron levels, and I know that my doctor is doing her due diligence by following up. So why does that question make me feel a little uneasy?

I think it’s because of a little thing I’ve heard being referred to as the “3 o’clock slump." My energy is great overall, but it’s that mid-day hump between lunch and dinner, between work and home, between office chair and being out and about, that gets me.

To tackle the “slump”, I find that little bursts of movement help. If I do something active during my lunch break, I always feel more recharged into the afternoon. A healthy snack with protein and whole grains also does the job. I love almond butter on whole wheat bread (or on a banana, or on a spoon – or an anything!). A good night’s rest makes a big difference too, especially during Project Runway season when it can be difficult to get to bed on time (To be honest, I think I watch to see the bad outfits more so than I do to see the good ones!)

So, how’s YOUR energy these days?

Are you facing any challenges? Have tips to share for staying peppy into the afternoon?

I’d love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, KK! I find that a workout during lunch hour helps.

    ReplyDelete