Oxygen Staff Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

3 ways to cook a helluva lot less


I’m the world’s laziest cook. My motto is, if there’s a shortcut in the kitchen, take it. After all, consider this: a woman will spend an average of two and half years of her adult life cooking, according to a UK consumer study. In that time, you could pen a book, complete a Masters degree, travel the world over…you get the idea! But I guess it’s a welcome relief from 1960, when the average woman spent an average of six years cooking (yikes!). The market researchers credit the drop in figures to two factors: ready-made meals at the supermaket and labor-saving kitchen equipment. Mind you, the study was a touch bias, being commissioned by kitchen gadget manufacturer Breville. That said, I don’t think you need a counter full of fancy cooking gear to whip up clean, tasty meals in a flash. Take it from me, I’m faring through my big girl years not chained to the stove because I’ve mastered the art of lazy-girl-cooking with simple tools. Here, my top time-saving cooking secrets:

1. Single skillet meals. Hate washing dishes? Make full meals using just one skillet.
TRY: Heat a teaspoon of olive oil on medium-high heat. Saute cumin-spiced lean ground beef, then use the same pan to flash-fry yellow onions, chopped spinach, and oregano-dusted tomatoes. Sprinkle with feta cheese, optional. Serve in a whole grain wrap.
Here's another recipe.

2. Slow cooking. My Crockpot is my lifeline when it comes to meal making. Just toss in ingredients before bed and you’ve got a protein-packed lunch for work the next few days.
TRY: Line slow cooker with chopped sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, and a can of corn. Add frozen chicken breasts and two cups of low-sodium chicken broth, and cook on low for eight hours. Serve with cooked quinoa.
Here's another recipe.

3. Bake “en papillote”. Don’t let the French words fool you, there’s nothing shi shi about this fool-proof cooking method. All you need is a roll of parchment paper, a cookie sheet, and an oven. Click here for a quick lesson.
TRY: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lay thinly sliced carrots, red onions, and zucchini onto parchment paper. Place a tilapia fillet on top of vegetables. Season with dill and drizzle honey mustard on top. Fold in edges of parchment to seal food in. Place package into oven for 15-20 minutes, until fish flakes. Open package carefully and serve.

4 comments:

  1. I'll admit. I part of the crew of "lazy" cooks. But like all, I enjoy a savoury meal even when I'm on my low energy days. One of my best resolutions is to use left overs from the night before. Just the other night, I put my left over veggies and chicken atop a sheet of whole grain pizza dough. Added some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled on some cheese. We threw this on the BBQ and it was ready in 10 min. It was aromatic =) Thanks for all the advise. I'll definitely be considering these other options on another one of my "lazy" days. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. "En Papillote" is really amazing and easy! It gives you a lot of creative license and little clean up! My favorite is chicken breast with rosemary,salt/pepper, and a little olive oil. Amazing flavor and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For less clean up, my trick is to eat right out of the pot. It'll also adds a little iron to your kraft dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this equipments are now so cheap..Overhead Commercial Heat Lamps are ideal for displaying or keep serving food hot. Buffet Heat lamps maintain prepared food at the correct serving temperature, while enhancing presentation at the same time.Used Kitchen Equipment

    ReplyDelete