Oxygen Staff Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Calories for muscle

I’m freaking out! I have just one more month left to lean up for the company fitness challenge and my muscle development is less than impressive. My body fat is in check now but it’s crunch time for building a bit more mass. The clock’s ticking! So I sent off a frantic email to one of our fabulous nutrition writers, Tiffani Bachus (Pictured on right). Not only does she have a bomb body, Tiffani carries some serious fitness cred: she's a registered dietitian, a fitness competitor, and a mother of three to boot. Thought I’d share our conversation with you.

ME: Tiff, is there a simple formula I can use to calculate how many calories I need to build muscle?

TB: Hi Helen, I'm out and about today - no computer, so I'll type some info on my iPhone. Here are my general guidelines for women:

• For weight loss: 11 calories per pound of body weight
• For weight maintenance: 15 calories per pound
• For weight gain: a range of 17-20 calories per pound

I don't believe there is scientific evidence except SCAN recommends for building muscle – adding 200-500 calories extra. I always recommend the lower end (17 calories or an extra 200) for the first few weeks. This can be a challenge for some people because it really matters where those extra 200 calories are coming from.

ME: An extra meal? Yay! But I’m guessing it has to be clean, right? What do you suggest?

TB: Clean, of course! An extra 200 "clean" calories could be a turkey wrap (2 oz turkey, 1/8 avocado slice, one tomato slice, wrapped in a small whole wheat tortilla). That translates to approximately 14 grams of lean protein, 5 grams of healthy fat and 20 grams of carbohydrates. Oh and don't forget to about those pre and post workout meals. Eat approximately 10-20 grams of protein with a carbohydrate (10-15 grams is sufficient) 15-20 minutes before your strength training workout. Followed with a post-exercise snack 30 min to 1 hour after your workout.

ME: Thanks Tiff, super useful.

TB: I'm glad I can help you out! You got this win!! :) p.s. I’ve been boxing lately and it’s been doing wonder for my abs. I’m attaching a pic for you. [see above] I can’t wait to see your ripped abs!

Note to self: eat more (and take up boxing).

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I am so thirsty for this information! I happen to be "underweight" and nobody wants to talk about it. It's totally tabu for the skinny chick to complain about being too skinny. However, I am not anywhere close to curvy like Tiffany and I think she is so beautiful! I study Kenpo which keeps me very lean, I'm also a wife and mother of two boys, and work. Eating tends to fall on the low end of my priorities so this knowledge in priceless! Thank you so much for posting! I'm plugging this into my day so I don't have to even think about it anymore. Curvy here I come! Whooo Hooo!!!!!

    ~Tracy, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, wow that pic is amazing!! Tiffani obviously knows what she's talking about! I love reading Tiffani's "Easy Does It" column each month and have tried and loved every recipe!! I'm also learning what eating clean really means and have seen a huge change in my body as a result. So these tips are incredibly helpful, please keep them coming! I'm so glad you have someone as knowledgable as Tiffani on your staff! Thank you!! Diane, Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  3. tif,youre an amazing inspiration..and i love youre all about sharing your tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you guys find this stuff useful. Tiffani is an amazing gal to work with and her story is inspirational. Check out more of Tiffani here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGTCHaeifqg

    ReplyDelete