Oxygen Staff Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Monica Brant's F.E.M. Camp!

Guest blogger: Marta Ustyanich, Oxygen's Copy Editor

Competing in fitness has hardly ever crossed my mind, let alone been an option, given my less-than-shredded physique. But when Oxygen’s editor-in-chief, Stacy Kennedy, offered up the opportunity to attend fitness icon Monica Brant’s three-day competition prep camp this May, I eagerly jumped at the chance to get my butt kicked by one of the best in the industry – and she delivered.

After just two sets of a lower-body circuit designed by Monica herself, I was sitting down for a much-needed break, while the girls all powered through every grueling rep.

But they didn’t come to just work their muscles – they came to flex them, too. Strapping on their clear heels, the girls slipped into bikinis or shorts – I wisely decided to sit this one out – and proceeded to parade around the room, with Monica calling for three-quarter turns and front poses (umm, say what?). Even as Oxygen’s copy editor (read “walking dictionary”), I was getting lost in all the industry jargon.

But it wasn’t long before I was dropping terms like “shredded” and “adrenal fatigue,” thanks to a lesson on supplementation from nutrition coach Nathan Harewood. And thanks to a makeup tutorial from Oxygen’s own makeup artist, Valeria Nova, I can even pick out the best foundation to match competition tans. In fact, with a little practice – and a lot of crunches! – I may just one day pass for a regular on the competition stage. Hey, a girl can dream!

Admittedly, outside of photos, I have never seen a live or televised competition. It was at F.E.M. Camp that I really began to understand the discipline, dedication and guts that it takes to make it up onto that stage. The strain on the girls’ faces as they repped it out on the gym floor, the meticulous hand placement as they delivered pose after pose, their dazzling smiles as they bared all – stretch marks included – in tiny shorts and bikinis – all this explained how they had come to earn this coveted spot training with an elite Figure competitor.

And that’s what makes me want to go for it (given, the chiseled core is a nice bonus!) – I love proving to myself how much I can accomplish simply by exercising my willpower. Competitive fitness entails a powerful fusion between the body and mind; not just anyone can do it. But I like to think of myself as one of those who can – and maybe (hopefully!) will – one day sculpt a stage-worthy physique. What about you? Do you have what it takes to compete? You can find out from the fitness icon herself by signing up for a weekend-long F.E.M. Camp in your area. Visit femcamp.net for camp dates near you.

As for me, it’s back to those crunches!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun, Marta!
    You have what it takes :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a blast, Marta!

    And c'mon - you could have TOTALLY rocked those clear heels and shorts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marta!! I am so happy you were able to attend! It was great having you with us and I am happy to hear you were inspired. That's definitely one of the reasons I host the camps.. to inspire the ladies in their respective dreams..

    Thank you to Oxygen for all your support... it means the world to me to have your loyalty to us 'athletes' of the sport.

    Ladies!! If anyone is interested.. Body Alive Fitness Weekend, June 24-26 in Austin, TX (co ed) is my next camp.. it has nothing to do with competition and is shorter time frame than normal F.E.M. Camps.. next F.E.M. Camp is back in MdR, CA Sep 30-Oct 2.. to sign up for either or to ask for more details, please email me directly: monica@femcamp.net
    Looking forward to meeting more of you fabulous Ladies!
    xo
    www.monicabrant.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. this makes me wanna compete again soon!! it was a whirlwind of craziness last spring when i was doing it, and it took reading this to realize how much work and effort i put into it. i have so much respect for girls who compete all the time!

    ReplyDelete