Oxygen Staff Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Celebrate the small stuff

This past Easter weekend, I conquered my fear of pushups.

And that’s no small feat for me! A month ago, I could barely muster out eight without feeling like throwing up.

It happened in my condo gym, with nobody in sight (I think every body left the city for the long weekend). I knew I wanted to work my arms but didn’t feel like hoisting the weights again. I was scratching my head for ideas when suddenly, I had a flashback: I heard the shrilling voice of my junior high school gym teacher, Mr. Howard, shout “drop and give me 20!”

Ok, Mr. Howard. I never liked you but here you go.

I grabbed a mat and flipped to the most cocky song on my iPod, and went for it.

Set #1
12 slow and steady reps
Paid close attention to my form in the mirror

Set #2
12 reps!
Form? Perfect
Took a short water break

Set #3
I wanted to challenge myself so I grabbed a stability ball and went into plank position.
Eked out 15 reps!
Muscles = Burning!

Set #4
16 reps, again on the ball. (The extra rep was for you, Howard.)
Gave myself a mental high five.

Lesson learned: Relish in the victory of every fitness milestone, no matter how small you think it is. Every small success will propel you towards your bigger goal. Now tell me about your most recent fit feat!

6 comments:

  1. To bring back a passé late-90s phrase, "You go girl!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Hel! You're a worthy opponent in the Fitness Challenge. I can tell you're in it to win it. I'm going to attempt your push up routine at lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. go for it KB! Yet I'm sure push-ups are a cinch for you =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god, I hate push ups. But indeed they are one of the best workouts for great summer arms. For me, I try to shake it up a bit. Alternate sides, moving from one side to the other. A little change creates more challenge =) Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete