Oxygen Staff Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

Getting fit from head to toe

There’s something I need to get off my chest.

I’m just going to come out and say it: I have a thing with feet.

In particular, I don’t like them very much.

They’re not attractive. They don’t smell good. They get calloused and sweaty and blistered. If I could go the rest of my life without ever having to touch one, I’d be thrilled.

Or so I thought up until a few months ago.

While working on this month’s health feature, “How fit are your feet?” (check it out on page 109 of Oxygen’s April 2011 issue!), I learned to appreciate my below-the-ankle parts just a little bit more.

Here’s something that I never gave much thought: The feet are, quite literally, the foundation to our health and fitness. Not only do these two little guys help us to run better, squat lower and support ourselves during a yoga pose, but they’re also a good indicator of our overall health and wellness. So, as much as this didn’t excite me at first, I’m starting to learn to take care of them and give my pair the attention they deserve (you should have seen me the first time I tried to give myself the DIY foot massage from page 110. I wish I had photos to share of my facial expressions. But it felt so so good!)

If you’re into living an active lifestyle, I think you’ll love the article. And if you’re a runner, check out our guide to picking the perfect pair of running shoes. Plus, here a few marathon-training tips from Tosca Reno!



And let me know: How do you feel about your feet? Do you show them love?

I’d love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. I don't like my feet (the way they look) but I always bought the best shoes possible. I also had made-to-measure insoles made just for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoes are such a huge part of it! I used to get a lot of shin pain on the treadmill until I switched mine and now - no pain! Have you noticed any benefit from the insoles? That sounds like a good plan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate feet as well, especially my own. My second toe is substantially larger than my big toe and they are quite wide for their small size, making it extremely difficult to find shoes that are comfortable. And those crazy looking toe socks or barefoot running shoes? Forget about it!

    I would love to hear more about these insoles, Elise. I've often thought about getting orthopedic inserts to help alleviate some of the pain in my knees and ankles (the list of things that are wrong with me goes on! lol) but I don't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE my feet!! Not like a weird obsession but I take very good care of them. I give them a pedi every week myself, and then pay for someone else to do a better job once a month-ish.

    I also do a lot of yoga (3x/ wk) and i make sure to spend some time upside down every day. It feels so good to get in shoulder stand, headstand or handstand and wiggle my toes around and re-energize.

    We are on our feet all day long, we need to show them some love!

    ReplyDelete