Oxygen Staff Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's your number?

Last week, I was speaking with a close friend about a recent visit to my doctor’s office where I had my cholesterol levels checked. She looked at me almost as if I said a swear word, and said, “Isn’t that something that only concerns older, overweight women?”

Well, in a word, no.

I’m not entirely sure how my friend would define “older” or “overweight”, but if I know anything about heart health (of which your cholesterol levels are one indicator), it’s that every woman, no matter her age or size, should pay attention.

Studies show that women of all ages, body shapes and fitness levels are impacted. In fact, according to the American Heart Association (AHA), coronary heart disease is still the single leading cause of death for American women.

Even though I’m 26, heart disease runs in my family, so I feel determined to take personal responsibility to take care of my health, and keep my heart in the best possible shape. In addition to making gym dates, adding avocados to my shakes, cutting down on sugar and sleeping more, I also try my best to stay informed about my heart health “numbers”.

Cholesterol is a good place to start, as it gives you and your doctor an indication of any fatty deposits or build-up in your arteries that could be problematic to your heart. In addition to your “total cholesterol”, the American Heart Association recommends keeping tabs on these other digits:

  • LDL (“Bad”) Cholesterol
  • HDL (“Good”) Cholesterol
  • Triglycerides
  • Blood Pressure
  • Waist Circumference
I’d love to know if you pay attention to your numbers, and what you do to keep your heart fit. Have any tips?

1 comment:

  1. I am 25 and consider it not just a luxury but a duty to keep myself fit and healthy because my husband's employer just dropped out health insurance. We can't afford a private policy so I haven't been able to see the doctor in almost a year. I have worked hard at eating healthy and exercising to keep myself as healthy as I can. (which by the way, knock on wood, I have only been sick twice since then and only with colds)As soon as I get insurance again (like next month I hope!!!) I want to go in and have a total phsyical and have my cholesterol checked. It is never too early to be proactive about your health! Good job getting checked!!

    ReplyDelete