Oxygen Staff Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Shakes vs. Smoothies

You’re probably thinking, “What’s the difference?” Well, it’s one of those nuances that separate fitness-minded people from sedentary folk.

Bet you didn’t know that?

I didn’t either until our executive editor, Diane Hart, corrected me at a one of our brainstorming sessions (nearly two and half years ago, when I was still learning the ins and outs of the fitness industry). There I was pitching a story to her about the benefits of protein “smoothies” when she stopped me mid-sentence to inform me that there’s a kind of unofficial lingo amongst fitness models: They drink ‘shakes’ not ‘smoothies’, she said. I thought, isn’t that kind of trivial? I likened it to fashionistas who insist that beige is totally different from white. Come on, really?

But then I got to thinking about the rationale behind it, and it does make a lot of sense...

Active people who train on a regular basis have nutrition habits that need to be different from sedentary people, particularly the food you eat around your workout – before, maybe during, and after. It is these meals that deserve special attention because they can make or break your results. According to one my trusted sources, sports dietitian, Heidi Skolnik, co-author of Nutrient Timing for Peak Performance (Human Kinetics, 2010), the meals you eat around your workout are considered “fuel”, which is different from regular meals. Special attention should be paid to timing of your intake of fuel as well as the nutrient profile. For example, pre-workout fuel calls for a carbs and a bit of protein that sit well in your stomach (not too much fiber!) whereas post workout fuel may call for quick-absorbing carbs and high quality lean protein (hello shakes!). Meals that you eat at the rest of times, lunch, dinner, or breakfast (not around your workout, says Skolnik) are more balanced with healthy fats and fiber. So an avocado smoothie made with say leafy greens, almond milk and rolled oats would be considered more of a ‘meal’ in the form of a smoothie. (Still with me?) It is recipes like these that are often recommended by dietitians as a meal replacement for busy people on the go – just like my gal pal and roommate, Michelle (that's her pictured above to my right). Michelle is a full-time nurse and yoga devotee, and has a daily ritual of making a big green smoothie every morning before dashing off to the hospital. There’s no protein powder in her smoothies but they deliver a mega dose of vitamins from an ever-changing mix of leafy greens and fruits (yesterday’s was a blend of kale, apples, ginger, and carrots). Her smoothies are so energizing! But I know that I need more protein in my diet in order to build that muscle that I’m after so when I get my chance at the blender, it’s a shake for me.

Because shakes are training fuel.

Often made with whey protein powder, shakes are an important part of an active diet. They do the job of refueling your body quickly and effectively so that your muscles repair and grow. There are also pre workout shakes that require more carbs for energy. All you need to do is mix a scoop of high quality protein powder with a cup of liquid (low-fat milk or water) for a basic shake. Depending on your goals and training intensity, you can add additional ingredients like berries or performance-boosting supplements. Right now, I love adding beta-alanine to my preworkout shakes, as it seems to give me that extra gusto I need for cardio. There are so many ways to make a protein shake! So many, in fact, that Oxygen features a new recipe every month in our Shake of the Month section – cause we know that a fit girl needs variety in her life to stick to a clean diet.

I love experimenting with new shake (and yes even smoothie) recipes so feel free to share yours!

10 comments:

  1. What's the recipe for your pre-workout shake? I'm looking for new pre-workout meal ideas!

    Right now I'm mixing 1/2 cup of greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of oats and 1/2 cup of berries for an awesome boost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious, Jessica! I love Greek yogurt! Have you tried the new vanilla flavor by Liberte?

    Right now, I'm on a watermelon kick (probably cause we're working on our summer issues) so I've come up with this yummy double-duty* recipe.

    1 cup chopped watermelon
    5 orange segments
    1 cup almond or skim milk
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein
    1 tsp beta-alanine powder
    Ice cubes

    Blend all ingredients until smooth.

    *This recipe fills up my whole protein shaker to the top so I save half of it for post workout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess this is technically a smoothie, but I call them all shakes! http://thegetinshapegirl.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/strawberry-shortcake-protein-shake/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Helen,

    Great post! :) The perfect way to end my week!

    It got me thinking: Tim Hortons here in Canada (and possibly in the US - not too sure about its availability) recently introduced a fruit smoothie, and while I can't be sure without looking at the nutritional info/ingredient list, I'm almost positive that it is too good to be true (ie. high in sugar and not much else). Does anyone know of a fast food restaurant that offers a smoothie (or, pardon me, shake. Wink, wink) that isn't subpar and has a whole whack of protein?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rach! Looking at the nutritional info on the Tim Horton's site, it shows that a 10 oz serving contains 30 grams of sugar. And while the press release (which I received recently) claims that you "get a full serving of real fruit", I would still take caution cause I've seen other fast food "smoothie" places use fruit juice rather than fruit. Real fruit provides that all important feel-full fiber! And then there's the question of where the protein is coming from. I suspect that it's from vanilla yogurt? Another sugar-loaded food. Interestingly, the sugar grams in these smoothies are about the same as their vanilla strawberry filled donut at 28 grams. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Helen,

    My go to back in the day:

    - 1 scoop chocolate isolate protein powder
    - 3 or 4 ice cubes
    - 1 cup skim milk
    - 1 tbsp peanut butter
    - 1 banana

    I made this a number of times for my friends and received no complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what do you think of the smoothies from I Love Juicy? They have one right across from my gym & you can add protein, energy boost, multi-vitamins, etc. They are delicious & great for after workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Wayne: Sounds yummy. Peanut butter tastes amazing in shakes! I recently started mixing natural peanut butter with whey and a bit of water to get a pudding-like consistency. It's a sinful clean "treat", perfect for an mid morning or after noon snack. Too fatty for pre or post workout though.
    @ Life as we know it: I haven't heard of that place. Which city?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Juicy is in Chatham, ON Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anyone know the recipe for the NY Knicks' protein shake?

    ReplyDelete